Thursday, February 3, 2011

Don Barbara, Roberto Petagine, a bat and a glove.

Don Barbara had played in the PCL in 1992, and in 1994 was back in the league with Albuquerque. One of the other autograph hunters told me that Barbara would give him a bat if he introduced him to a girl, so naturally I asked him if he'd do the same for me. He said yes, so I convinced my then wife to bring a friend of hers along for what was the last game of the season. Yup, I pimped her out for a bat. Classy huh?

Yeah well, it's a nice bat. The signature isn't the best, but it's a nice LA Dodgers Louisville Slugger.

Barbara signed on with the Red Sox in the off-season as a replacement player, which is probably one of the main reasons his career ended after 1996. The guy could hit, he had some kind of a bat on him. He's now an assistant coach for the Pacific Tigers, under head coach Ed Sprague.



Roberto Petagine was another guy who could hit well in the minors, unfortunately it never worked out for him in the bigs. He shoulda been a star.


I've always been a wannabe first baseman, so I had both of them sign my glove at different times in 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment