Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Random card. Jon Matlack autograph.

Weird random fact. Jon's middle name is Trumpbour.


In either 1994 or 1995 I had gone out to see the Vancouver Canadians play the Las Vegas Stars. I'd always check the Baseball America or the Baseball Weekly to see who was down on the farm, and check for cards to bring along. When I noticed that Jon Matlack was a coach with the Stars, I figured it was worth a shot. The game was a rainout, but as I was walking back to my car the visitor's clubhouse door opened briefly and Mr. Matlack looked out. They must have been waiting for the shuttle back to the hotel. So I figured I'd go knock at the door, and he opened it and was happy to sign my card.A bit surprised, but happy.

Not that Jon Matlack was or is a nobody, but I've always wondered about random stories of autograph requests that pop up in the lives of ex major leaguers. It'd be cool if someone put a book together with ex players describing some of the weird times and places someone has shoved a piece of cardboard in their face.

No comments:

Post a Comment